No matter how hard we try, it seems that we still live in a world full of chemicals. In fact, even in your own home, you probably have cleaning products that contains chemicals. Most of these chemicals are toxic and extremely harmful, especially to children. Being exposed to toxic chemicals can lead to many unpleasant side effects and illnesses. You may be wondering “How can I protect my children from the chemicals in my home?” You can protect your kids from these highly toxic chemicals easily! Continue reading to learn seven ways to keep your children safe from toxins.
Refrain from Using Pesticides
Pesticides are designed to kill, so they are a danger to everyone, including children. It is highly recommended that you do not use any pesticides within your house. In addition to that, it’s also not recommended to use pesticides on the outside of your home either. Because children tend to play in your front yard as well as in the garden, it’s far too easy for them to become poisoned by weed and other types of treatments. As an alternative to pesticides, consider using vinegar to ward off those pesky fruit flies in your home.
Keep Hardly Used Toxins Locked Up
Keeping all toxins, both used and unused safely locked away. Purchasing a fire safety cabinet that is only accessible with a key is the best way to keep them out of reach. This special type of storage unit is made of metal and can be attached to the surface of your wall. This prevents it from being tipped over.
You can put every toxic chemical to children there including:
Utilize Less or Non-Toxic Products
Multiple studies have shown that breathing in the chemicals of cleaning products can be detrimental to your child’s health. When possible, look for safer, non-toxic options that are safe to use around children and pets. For instance, instead of using cleaner, you can use baking soda to clean your bathtub, shower, sinks and toilets. If you have wood furniture, you can use lemon juice and vegetable oil to clean it. There are many kinds of alternatives to harmful toxins that get the job done that don’t posing a health threat.
Dispose of Plastic Products
Cleaning products are not the only things that contained toxic chemicals. Many types of plastic products, especially ones that are made of soft plastic, contain a toxin known as bisphenol. Unfortunately, many parents are unaware of this, but most of their children’s belongings such as sippy cups and toys.
You can check if the item has this chemical by looking at the recycling number. If it has the number seven, then chances are it contains BPA. Furthermore, always make sure to throw out any plastic that has an odor.
Refrain from Using Products That Contain VOCs
For those who don’t know, VOC stands for volatile organic compound. Products such as air fresheners come in pressurized aerosol cans. Once sprayed, it will release a mist that contains VOC’s that pollutes the indoor air quality, which can spell disaster for your children.
Here are a few products that are in aerosol cans:
- Hair spray
- Furniture spray
On a side note, aerosol products are especially dangerous to children who have asthma. For a safer alternative, use spray bottles instead and also make your own air freshener. Simply boiling orange and lemon rinds work well to freshen your home.
Get Rid of Flame Retardant Furniture
There is furniture that is flame retardant. While being protected from fires is fine and dandy, the flame retardant contains multiple toxic chemicals. In fact, the average couch contains a few pounds of these dangerous chemicals, so your furniture could be the primary source for toxins. With that said, the chemicals that are within your mattress’, sofas and rugs are highly toxic to children. Since children often like to play on the furniture, make sure they’re playing on non-toxic furniture. Look for furniture that are not treated with any type of stain-lifting agent or fire retardant.
Test Your Home
Every home has the potential to house contain three chemicals; radon, asbestos and lead. These are the three most dangerous toxins in a household and are extremely dangerous to children. Since they are invisible and odorless, they can contaminate your home without you knowing about it.
To prevent you and your children from becoming ill, hire a professional home testing company to test your house. Should your home be contaminated with one or more of these toxins, you’ll either have to have your home decontaminated by a professional or move to another house entirely.
On a side note, for those who are on the verge of moving, always make sure to test the home you’re looking to buy or rent for these three highly dangerous chemicals as well.
Even though the toxins mentioned here are harmful to an adult, children are more susceptible to becoming ill is because they have weaker immune systems. That is to say that an adult can’t get sick, but the risk is significantly lower. For more information, give a call to Threshold Environmental Services.