Are you wondering how you can position yourself for a better basketball performance? Well, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a college or high school student, there are always ways to improve your fitness even as the fall semester begins.
This article compiles useful suggestions that will be instrumental in maximizing your workouts throughout the summer season. If you’re in high school, you need to utilize August optimally since AAU events will wind down by July.
Best Workout Tips
Many people tend to ignore small injuries, which can be detrimental to their sporting careers. The ideal time to address any abnormality is as early as you identify it. Depending on the nature of the injury, you can choose to remediate using homemade solutions (resting, ice, and topical applications) or visit your physical therapist. It does not matter how minor you think an injury is, and you should ensure that it heals up before proceeding to further workouts.
There is a need to meditate upon your overall performance in previous activities. If possible, I recommend that you involve your coach in the process. This way, you will identify your strengths and weaknesses, which is the foundation of bettering your performance.
The coach will guide you on the fundamental areas that you need to enhance, which may include ball handling and shooting. Once you identify these weaknesses, you should be flexible enough to increase the vigor, agility, power, and enthusiasm to catapult your basketball career to a greater height. Additionally, the self-evaluation process helps you to prioritize the activities in your training program, which ensure that you comprehensively address all your weaknesses.
Know What to Work On
You’ll improve your skills if you have a guide to work on during each training session. Here are a few fundamental tips that every coach will recommend when you need to improve your body strength, power, and fitness:
- Work on your Whole Body. You need to take care of your muscles, joints, bones, and every other part of your body. To achieve the best body balance, ensure that your hip, elbow, shoulder, knee, and ankle joints are in excellent shape
- Exercise through all the Three Plane of Motion. Never limit your body movements! In fact, I recommend that you try to move forward, sideways, and backward. Also, you can try to rotate/twist your movable joints to increase their flexibility.
- Work Within Acceptable Repetition Range. It’s recommended that you work between 6 and 15 reps to be fit for a basketball match. The more reps you can perform, the better it’ll be.
- Ensure Persistence. You should workout progressively to ensure that you perfect crucial techniques fast thus improving your chances of becoming a professional basketball player
Besides these universally accepted workout fundamentals, I recommend the following:
- Give attention to your feet. Mobility is crucial if you’re to succeed in basketball. As such, you should be keen to ensure that you maintain healthy feet throughout the training session. For example, you can make several walking lunges without shoes.
- Take care of your Core. Your core is the area from your chest to your knees. You should develop tactics to safeguard the health of these regions since they have the potential to affect your overall performance in basketball significantly.
- Exercise your Body Unilaterally. Exercises that involve one body part at a time helps in strengthening all crucial body parts in the body.
- Be Careful About your Landing Technique. This is especially useful when you are performing plyometric exercises. Always land with your weight evenly distributed over your feet to help in absorbing the landing pressure, which could lead to injuries.
Other Areas to Consider During Your Training
Apart from building your muscles, you can use the following techniques to prepare yourself for a better basketball performance further:
- Flexibility and Mobility. When exercising, you should undertake crucial stretches to enhance the movement of the entire body. The mobility of the shoulders, groin, lower back, core, and Achilles is key in ensuring that you avoid injuries
- You need to acclimatize with the basketball requirements gradually. Do not go extra hard on your body since this could be more harmful than beneficial. For example, you can do a little biking and swimming to make the entire training session fun.
- Skill Work. In basketball, it’s not just about your strength but also your skills. As such, you should work towards improving your shooting, ball passing, ball handling, and defense. Also, ensure that you adequately address your speed since it’ll contribute to your overall performance.
- Healthy eating is vital if you’re to perform well in basketball. Avoid junk food and consume other high-calorie food that will not impact the health of your circulatory system negatively.
- Rest and Recovery. Always have time to recover from an intense training session. When you overwork your body during training, it’s possible that you’ll suffer from fatigue during the main game.
If you need to improve your basketball performance, you have to exercise regularly. However, you should have a unique strategy to ensure that your efforts bear fruit. This guide offers insights that’ll revolutionize your training sessions!