Finally…………..spring time is amongst us and after a long winter that saw a couple of winter storms I’m excited about the change of weather. That means we get to spend more time outside whether it’s just to get out of the house, to play outside or that dreaded yardwork I have to do. Either way, as much as I love the springtime one thing I’m not looking forward to and that’s the return of allergies. Everyone in my family have our share of itchy eyes, sneezing, watery eyes and much more. Allergies are an abnormal response of your immune system and about 20% of Americans suffer from them. Allergies can range from mild to life-threatening and almost anything can trigger this reaction. Welcome to Allergy Season!!! Here are some things that can cause an allergic reaction:
Pollen from trees, grass and weeds can trigger an allergic reaction. You may experience sneezing, runny nose, congestion, itchy and watery eyes. There’s ways to prevent from being bothered by pollen when the count is high. One of the best ways to avoid it is by staying in the house, closing your windows and just stay in the air conditioned house. Treatments for this include allergy shots and medicine.
I’ve heard several people say that they know people get allergic reactions from their pets. After doing some research I found out the reason people get allergic reactions from the animals. Proteins secreted by oil glands in an animal’s skin and present in their saliva can cause allergic reactions for some people. The allergy can take two or more years to develop and symptoms may not go away until months after being away from the animal.
I’m really familiar with this one because in our old house we had carpet in the entire house as opposed to hardwood floors now. Dust mites live in carpet, curtains and pretty much anywhere dust can live in. Help prevent dust mite allergies by covering mattresses, pillows, and box springs, using hypoallergenic pillows, washing sheets weekly in hot water.
I’ve had a few friends that were allergic to bee stings and if they were to get stung it would be severe and even life-threatening. In rare cases when insect bites cause a severe reaction (anaphylaxis), symptoms may include difficulty breathing, swelling around the face, throat, or mouth, racing pulse, an itchy rash or hives, dizziness, or a sharp drop in blood pressure.
Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in some people. They can be found in damp areas such as basements or bathrooms, as well as in grass or mulch.
An allergic reaction usually happens within minutes of eating the offending food. Symptoms, which can include breathing problems, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling around the mouth, can be severe. Milk, shellfish, eggs, and nuts are among the most common foods that cause allergies.