Staying Safe at Home: What Not to Do
Never give out personal information
. Whether it’s in person or online, make sure your kids know to never give out personal details like their phone number or address. If your kids are on social media sites, make sure all personal info is hidden, and that all online friends and followers are people they know in real life.
- Never open the door when you’re home alone. This may sound obvious, but, in many cases, children will answer the door without even thinking about who’s knocking. To avoid this type of scenario, make sure your kids know, beyond a shadow of doubt, to never open the door for strangers.
- Never ignore abnormalities. An open front door, broken glass, a ripped window screen or a lock that’s been tampered with can all point to a burglary. Teach your children to watch out for these and other abnormalities (a strange car in the driveway, etc.), and have a plan in place should something seem amiss
The Fundamentals of Home Security
- Home Security Systems. If you own a home security system, make sure your kids know how to operate it. Teach them pass codes, make sure they know how to enable and disable alarms, call for help, etc. If you don’t have a home security system, check out the ones at https://www.securitychoice.com/adt-home-security/, and find a system and plan that best suits your family’s needs. The peace of mind and added security are well worth it.
- Creating a Plan for Emergencies. In case of an emergency – including a burglary, a fire or an accident – your family should have a detailed plan of action. For example, you could practice getting out of the house, quickly and safely, as well as designate a trusted neighbor’s house as your emergency meet-up spot.
- In the event of an intruder in the home your family should know what their options are, if you have a manual security system such as Police Style Batons, tasers, or pepper sprays, your kids should know where they are and how to use them safely.
Your family deserves to feel safe in their own home. And, with the tips provided here, children can learn the basics of home security, as well as how to handle emergencies, should they arise. Use the advice offered here, and keep your home and family as safe as possible.