With Earth Day having just come and gone, it was probably the perfect time for many of us to realize we need to teach our kids more about the environment and how to take care of it. From recycling to gardening, there are tons of different ways to show our kids that we only have one Earth, and it’s especially important to take care of it. However, many of us probably have a hard time figuring out where to begin. Below are seven of our favorite ways to help your kids learn more about the environment and how to take care of it.
1. Turn off what you’re not using. When you leave a room, turn off the lights. When you’re brushing your teeth, turn off the water. When you’re done watching TV, don’t leave your show on in the background.
2. Participate in an outdoor cleanup. Take a look at your local environment and figure out where the best place to begin is. You can do cleanups on the beach, at parks, on the side of roads, and more.
3. Donate. With tons and tons of textiles being thrown out each year, we could all use a little reminder about donating—especially since there are so many people in need all over the country.
4. Lead by example. This is the best way to show our kids that our environment is important. Practice what you preach and take care of our planet!
5. Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Try to buy a reusable lunchbox, drink water from the fountain, and eat fruit for a snack instead of something packaged. Recycle your waste instead of just tossing it in the trash.
6. Spend more time outside. For your child to love and appreciate the environment, they need to spend time in it. Try to go hiking, spend time at the beach, or simply enjoy your own backyard.
7. Take up gardening. Growing your own vegetables can really make you appreciate our world and all the awesome things it can grow.
Start with little things, and over time your child will understand how special the environment really is and how much care it needs.