Hormones are essentially what makes us male or female, alongside serving a ton of other purposes that are essential to both genders for survival. However, as we are specifically talking about male hormonal health, you might be surprised to know how detrimental the effects of imbalanced testosterone levels can be for a man’s physical and mental health. Stay with us as we discuss a few key facts regarding male hormonal health, which every man should be aware of today.
The Normal Range of Healthy Testosterone Levels in Men
Before we state any numbers, it should be noted that depending on your race, climatic conditions, frequency of physical activity, nature of physical activity, sexual activity, age, psychological condition and medical conditions (if any), the norm can vary quite widely.
Nevertheless, a healthy level of testosterone in men is medically ascertained to be within the range of 300 ng/dl – 1,200 ng/dl. The range is so wide because of the multiple variables already mentioned.
The Functions of the Male Hormone
Testosterone deficiency leads to symptoms that we will discuss later on, but first, it’s essential to know the kind of roles the hormone plays in our body in the first place.
- Development, growth, musculature and bone density are all highly testosterone dependent in males
- Fat distribution – the reason why older men gather fat easily on their bellies
- RBC production is dependent on testosterone – strong immune system and proper testosterone levels in males are often related
- The ability to partake in sexual activities and the desire to do so are both almost entirely dependent on healthy testosterone levels in men
- A child’s ability to become stronger over time throughout the many stages of manhood is directly proportionate to their testosterone levels
- High levels of testosterone, even when within healthy levels, can lead to male pattern baldness
- Testosterone on the other hand, regulates the growth of bodily hair and facial hair
Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Men
There are key symptoms that accompany lowered male hormonal levels in the blood, and some of the most prominent ones can be summarized as below:
- Inability to sleep properly or marked changes in sleeping hours and schedule
- Involuntary and prominent changes in diet
- Decreased sexual desire, erectile dysfunction and infertility
- Rapid emotional changes with inclination towards being uncharacteristically sensitive
- Decrease in physical strength and rapid weight gain
Certain natural remedies can work in some cases, but their efficiency may not be long term or even effective at all, depending on how serious the deficiency is, and what caused it.
It is Possible to Treat Low Testosterone Symptoms with Injectables
Although the symptoms are more commonly seen in older men than in young males, it isn’t impossible or totally uncommon for even younger men to suffer a premature dip in testosterone levels. The reasons can be congenital hormonal disorders, diabetes, obesity, liver/kidney disease, substance abuse and chronic infections, among others. Whatever the reason may be, it is possible to counter low male hormonal levels with injectable testosterone, but a prescription is required medically and legally for getting access to them.
Hormonal balance is essential for everyone, as that’s what keeps our body into a stable state of homeostasis, which is necessary for healthy living. In the case of human males, testosterone is the prime male hormone, so a dip or sudden increase in its percentage in the blood can cause severe issues, as already discussed. If you are experiencing any of the mentioned symptoms, do not hesitate to consult an endocrinologist immediately to find out the reason(s) responsible for causing the change, and address it accordingly.